This temple was built around 1655. According to a copper inscription found in the temple, the temple was built by Patra Vamsha Raut Vishow Nath of Ta: Bahal of Kirtipur in Baisakh of the Nepal year 775. In his Temples of Nepal, foreign scholar Ronald M. Berneir has written that this temple was built in the year 1673. According to him, it was four storeyed. But he has not given any sources.
A the southern part of this temple, there is a historical Kwatha home, and hence the name of the place Kwa:chwa. This home is still run by Pradhans, a sub-caste of Newars, who had once obtained powerful positions in the palace. On the day of Vijaya Dashami, the greatest festival of the Hindu Community, a important festival, Paya: is celebrated there. According to Raj Bhog Vamshawali, this historical Kwatha home was build around 1690.
The temple has been repaired many times. After the damage by the great earthquake of 1993, it was roofed with zink plates. It was redamaged and its wood also collasped by the heavy storm of 1947. It was built into its present form b the local people of that place in the year 1982. In front of the eastern door of the temple, there are two heavy stone statues of elephants, which were erected in the Nepal era 782.
Above the statues, there are two figures, one of the Bhimsen and another of Kuver, which are thought to the watchmen of Shiva-Parvati or Uma-Maheshwar. It is believed that they have been keeping guard there since the sixteenth century.